Technology Advisory Group
The Technology Advisory Group (TAG) was formed to:
- Transform Scotland’s research and development base into a major driver for the Scottish economy
- Encourage the widespread adoption of technology as an enabler of growth across all industry
- Enable new and existing companies to build on Scotland's strong technology capabilities
The TAG focuses on technologies which deliver (or have the potential to deliver) leading capabilities, and on companies and organisations which have technology and/or advanced engineering as a core business competence.
All of this is underpinned by an aim to promote the development of disruptive and cross-cutting technologies that have the potential to stimulate growth across new and existing markets.
View member biographies of the current Technology Advisory Group (PDF, 1.1MB)
Technology strategy for Scotland
Our goals for Scotland's technology sector include:
- developing the core capability of individual companies either through development of existing intellectual capability into new vertical markets or increasing productivity and competitiveness through the adoption of technologies (across all sectors)
- increasing the number and competitiveness of companies in all sectors, either in new start-ups, spin-outs, and existing companies or in attracting foreign investment.
Towards a Brighter Future
The strategy 'Towards a Brighter Future’ outlines nine steps to be taken to help achieve our ambition to transform Scotland's national productivity and is a 'call to action' for industry, universities and the Government.
Enabling technology strategy - Towards a Brighter Future (PDF, 1.64MB)
Sensing a Brighter Future
Sensor technology has been identified by the Technology Advisory Group as an area where Scotland can build on its existing competitive strength and capitalise on the potential for growth. This strength in sensor technologies presents an opportunity to compete in new global markets. Read our Sensors Report to find out more about opportunities across the global sensors market.
Sensing a brighter future -sensors and sensor systems for Scotland (PDF, 695KB)
Informing a Brighter Future
Informatics is the management and analysis of data gathered from a variety of machine, human and ICT sources for the purpose of intelligent action. Scotland’s strength in informatics technologies presents opportunities to compete in new global markets. Details of these opportunities are outlined in our Informatics Report.
Informing a brighter future - Informatics for Scotland (PDF, 745kB)
Materialising a brighter future
Looking ahead, the most fruitful areas for Scottish companies in advanced materials are likely to be:
- Smart packaging
- Electronic functional materials
- Biomaterials, textiles and hybrids for sustainable construction
- Coatings and surface treatments
- Materials for batteries and fuel cells
- Metals and alloys
Each of these opportunities is investigated in detail in this summary report.
Materialising a brighter future: opportunities in advanced materials (PDF, 1.54MB)
If you would like a copy of the full report, please fill out a request form