Sign up for our Export Bootcamp to learn the essentials of international trade.
Up for the challenge?
This Export Bootcamp is specifically designed for companies with a strong product offering.
Export Bootcamp raised awareness of what we need to think, plan and deliver to get started without rushing into visiting countries and creating risks which can be avoided by better planning.
Get step-by-step guide to develop insights into key topics:
- Market analysis
- Market entry
- International finance, contracts and logistics
- How to get the most out of international exhibitions
What are the benefits?
- Guidance and inspiration from an experienced exporter to keep you on track
- One-to-one support from our export advisers, tailored to your sector
- Resource to develop your own online international action plan to implement into your business
- Plus, it’s the ideal setting to network with other like-minded Scottish businesses
Create your export plan
We’ll help you create an export plan – an online working document that will be secure and confidential for you and your business. You’ll be able to edit your plan at any time and download it as a PDF or Word document. Once complete, you can send your plan to your designated adviser for feedback and comment.
Good news is you can you start using the tool right away.
Register now to start your export plan
What will I learn?
- How to effectively research and exploit international opportunities
- What market entry options are right for your business
- How to effectively navigate export documentation, from developing your international pricing strategy to what currency to be paid in
- How to develop your value proposition for your international customer
- Next steps for your business
When and where?
Export Bootcamp will be held at Scottish Enterprise offices in the centre of Glasgow. You’ll have to attend all dates to complete the Bootcamp.
Export Bootcamp has given me a lot more to think about. It made aspects a lot more accessible with all the free resources/websites that have been recommended.
MacGregor & MacDuff
It’s a 9.15am for 9.30am start, finishing at 4pm:
- Tuesday 24 January 2017
- Tuesday 7 February 2017
- Tuesday 21 February 2017
Scottish Enterprise’s Export Bootcamp is fully-funded for Scottish companies and is part-funded through the European Structural and Investment Funds − investing in a smart, sustainable and inclusive future. You should note that this support is a form of state aid, on attendance it will count towards your overall De Minimis allowance.
Export Bootcamp schedule
Day one: Tuesday 24 January 2017
Session 1: Market analysis
Importance of export planning
Selecting target markets
Market research and market entry
Basic legal issues
Protecting your intellectual property
Session 2: Market entry
Routes to market and different options available
Agency, distribution and partnership agreements
Everything you need to know about managing your intellectual property (IP) when trading overseas − from non-disclosure agreements to patents, trademarks and copyright
International marketing and sales
Session 3: My exporting journey
Be inspired by Scotland’s exporting prowess. Hear from a company who’s already been through the experience − sharing tips and insight on trading overseas to grow their business:
- Get an overview of the company and its strategy for growth
- How it selected the right markets to enter
- How its export business model has evolved as the company has grown in these markets
- Outline of its market entry strategy and its approach to different markets
- How it dealt with the practical aspects of exporting including international payments
- Tips/recommendations for others looking at exporting into new overseas markets
Day two: Tuesday 7 February 2017
Session 1: International finance, contracts and logistics
- New exporter’s checklist
- Budgeting and costing
- Export pricing
- VAT, customs duties and tariffs
- Currency and getting paid
- Contracts and international terms and conditions
- Logistics and transportation
Session 2: How to develop your export action plan
There will be an opportunity for one-to-one consultations with advisers. All attendees will be helped to prepare an online export action plan to help them to achieve their objectives and understand how this fits into their overall strategy for export.
Day three: Tuesday 21 February 2017
Session 1: How to get the most out of international exhibitions
If you’re thinking about attending an international exhibition this session will help improve your exhibition skills and planning activities prior to attending. This will ensure you get the most out of any international exhibition you’re attending.
- International exhibition research and preparation: Learn how to go about research, finding and preparing for the important international exhibitions for your business – and once there, making sure you make the most of each one.
- An elevator pitch that gets results: You need to stand out from the crowd and ensure you get your key messages across to your audience. This workshop will take you through how you get pitch perfect for your international customers.
- International exhibition marketing: Explore the different marketing and social media tools available to you and how to use them effectively to get noticed at an international exhibition.
Session 2: Export mentoring session
Have a one-to-one session with an export adviser to follow up on your export action plan and the next steps for your business.