Our overview of recent trends in the global, UK and Scottish economies.
August's economic commentary:
- Global output is expected to grow by 3.5% this year and global trading conditions are generally favourable for Scottish firms
- The UK economy grew by 0.3% in Q2, slightly higher than the first quarter figure, although growth forecasts have been revised downwards
- UK business survey results show manufacturing output is increasing, boosted by strong export performance
- Scotland’s economy returned to growth in Q1 of 2017
- Forecasts for the Scottish economy have been revised up but growth is expected to remain below trend for the foreseeable future
- Business survey results for Scotland suggest the Scottish economy grew in the 3 months to the end of June
Read more and see the latest figures in the full economic commentary for August. This gives a bi-monthly update on global, UK and Scottish economic trends and performance, drawing on a wide range of economic indicators and commentaries.
Economic commentary August 2017 (Word doc, 137kB)