Our overview of recent trends in the global, UK and Scottish economies.
June's economic commentary:
- After a lengthy period of weak growth, the world economy is growing around 4%, the historical average of the past few decades
- Growth in the US economy (the world’s largest) has been revised down
- Weak quarter one UK GDP growth
- UK business confidence increased to a four-month high in May
- The UK remains the number one destination for foreign direct investment (FDI) in Europe
- The UK unemployment rate remained at a 43-year low
- The outlook for the Scottish economy will be subdued over the next five years
- Scottish private sector output growth accelerated to a ten-month high in May
- Scotland consolidated its position as the UK’s most attractive FDI destination outside London
- The volume of Scottish manufactured exports increased by 7.4%
Read more, and see the latest figures in the full economic commentary for June 2018. This gives a bi-monthly update on global, UK and Scottish economic trends and performance, drawing on a wide range of economic indicators and commentaries.
Economic commentary June 2018 (Word, 97.6Kb)