Stena is seeking novel approaches to replace traditional data transmission cables on board our ships with wireless transmission of signals from sensors for non-critical systems.
The companies comprising the Swedish-based Stena Sphere represent one of the largest private shipping groups in the world. We are seeking solutions that can be applied to cargo and passenger ships that travel in all of the world's oceans.
Historically, Stena ships use heavy cables to transmit data for non-critical systems like Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning. These cables add 2-5% to the dead weight of ships, increasing fuel consumption. Stena would like to reduce this by 50% by eliminating the need for cables for non-critical systems
Routes to consider:
Stena would like to reapply proven technologies like wireless transmission of signals via a smart grid. However, suggested approaches must be suitable for use in the marine environment. Key concerns include:
- Signals must be able to transmit through steel bulkheads
- Equipment must be able to withstand vibration and variations in temperature and humidity
- Signals must be protected to prevent breaches in security
- Technical viability - Solutions proposed must be based on sound scientific principles and have laboratory or pilot scale data that demonstrate efficacy.
- Scale up potential - Solutions proposed must have a clear pathway to be application on commercial ships within 1-2 years. The ideal partner would be able to lead the design and installation of full-scale systems. Solutions already practiced in marine markets have higher value.
- Costs - Total system cost (components and installation) must be comparable to conventional cabling.
- Ownership - Solutions covered by patents have higher value. At a minimum, proposed solutions must not be prohibited by other patents in the field.
Preferred Collaboration types
Stena is seeking an experienced system provider for monitoring and automation to run a pilot project for non-critical systems, with the capability of rolling out to new ships currently under design.
Items to be submitted
Stena is looking for concise, non-confidential proposals. The proposal should
- describe the technical approach
- ideally include information on the technological readiness of the proposal
- include any proof of concept data, reference to any peer reviewed publications, and potential route to commercialization.
The deadline to apply for this challenge is 31 January 2019.
Register your interest