Our third low carbon implementation plan demonstrates our commitment to delivering the Government Economic Strategy and summarises how we comply with the Public Sector Duty on climate change.
Our fourth low carbon implementation plan demonstrates our commitment to delivering the Scottish Government's Economic Strategy and summarises how we comply with the Public Sector Duty on climate change.
The plan summarises our progress during 2013-14 and our planned actions for 2014-2017, providing a comprehensive overview of the actions we are taking to help deliver sustainable, low carbon economic growth.
Renewables and the 'transition to a low carbon economy’ remain as two of our five strategic priorities but this plan is structured around our customer-facing low carbon priorities. These priorities all provide significant economic and carbon benefits.
Our low carbon priorities
Renewable energy strategic priorities:
- Offshore wind
- Wave and tidal
Low carbon market opportunities
- Carbon capture and storage
- Smart mobility
- Sustainable construction
- Water technologies
- Low carbon heat
- Resource efficiency company support
- Circular economy
We believe that the low carbon transition will fundamentally re-shape the Scottish economy.
It presents far-reaching opportunities and implications for the products and services Scotland offers in global markets and the ways in which companies operate.
By helping to accelerate the move to a low carbon economy, we are supporting Scottish companies to become more profitable by reducing costs and exploiting new low carbon market opportunities.
We have already made clear progress toward achieving our objectives:
- Most Industry Leadership Groups now target low carbon market opportunities in their strategies, and we have produced sector market opportunity reports in support of this
- Delivering the Renewable Energy Investment Fund to support a range of marine renewable, district heating and community energy projects
- Signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Hong Kong on low carbon knowledge transfer
- Launched a Scottish Innovative Foundation Technology fund to design and test prototypes of offshore wind foundations
Low carbon objectives
Our low carbon objectives will benefit the Scottish economy and reduce carbon emissions:
- Identify, research and promote opportunities, particularly those in international markets, to support the development of low carbon technologies, services, products and processes
- Increase company profits by supporting productivity improvements, with a focus on innovation, resource efficiency and promoting ‘circular economy’ models
- Influence our stakeholders to help develop a low carbon Scottish economy
- Reduce our own carbon emissions
These objectives, delivered through effective collaboration between the public sector, business, academia and other stakeholders, will help the Government to achieve its carbon reduction targets and strengthen Scotland’s low carbon brand and international reputation.
Low Carbon Implementation Plan 2013-14 (PDF, 1MB)